The Marketing Coordinator assists with marketing and advertising related to attendance, membership programs, special events, sponsorships and fundraising programs at the Great Plains Zoo.
Maintain an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting approach to job responsibilities and accountability. Strive to anticipate work load and accept direction for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision or instruction.
Share knowledge with the Marketing Manager, CEO and Vice President of Operations, and development staff for mutual and organizational benefit. Maintain a high level of confidentiality of all financial and personal information of the Zoo and its members, donors and sponsors. Contribute to maintaining high morale among Zoo employees. Develop and maintain cooperative and courteous relations with Zoo staff, volunteers, Board members and the general public so as to project a positive image and maintain positive relations with Zoo supporters/visitors. Tactfully and respectfully, handle requests, suggestions, and complaints from other departments and persons in order to maintain good working relationships within the Zoo.
- With direction from the Marketing Manager and CEO, assists with the implementation of marketing and communication initiatives at the Zoo.
- Coordinates the development of printed promotional and information materials including Zoo maps, rack cards, membership brochures and other collateral materials.
- Edit, deliver and optimize marketing materials for the zoo and museum.
- Works independently and with outside vendors to produce and place advertisements in print, radio, television, online and outdoor applications.
- Meets with advertising representatives to gather information on rates and placement plans.
- Coordinates the development of collateral and production materials to include schedule and approval by the Marketing Manager and/or CEO. Tracks the success of each collateral piece for future analysis.
- Assists with updating the Zoo and Museum’s Website.
- Assists with updating the Zoo and Museum’s social media.
- Assists with the publication of the Zoo newsletter and annual report.
- Assists with writing projects as needed.
- Works as a team player to ensure the goals of the Zoo and Museum are being met.
- Coordinate and deliver email campaigns and mass mail materials.
- Research and assist with media coverage.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
Requires a college degree in journalism, communications, marketing or a related field or equivalent experience.
Experience with graphic design and graphics software required.
3-5 years experience with an advertising agency or in a corporate communications environment preferred.
Requires a valid driver’s license.
Must be proficient on computers to administer basic database information, newsletters, and Microsoft Office programs. Experience with graphics and publishing software is required. Requires strong communication and organizational skills. Ability to operate under pressure and meet deadlines. Must be able to work extended hours, weekends and holidays as needed.
Health and Safety
Must be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds. Must submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Contact and Miscellaneous Information:
Great Plains Zoo
805 S Kiwanis Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
||Marketing / Communications, Admin & Clerical, Design
||Charitable / Not for Profit